List of Projects - P. Turula
Dr. Turula has 36 years of national laboratory, industry,
and university experience in:
- engineering evaluation of nuclear power plant facility
structures, reactor components, and radioactive
material transportation packagings;
- management of the development and design of
prototype sodium based nuclear steam supply
system pumps and steam generators; and,
- development and application of computer codes for
structural analysis and design.
Since 1985 his primary activity has been the evaluation of
radioactive material transportation packagings to assess
their safety and compliance with applicable national and
international regulations, in a technical advisory function
to the US Department of Energy (DOE). He has also
been instrumental in the development of the ASME
packaging rules and the relevant ANSI N14 transportation
standards. His special expertise is in structural systems
and stress analysis, and the dynamic response of
packaging structures. He is regarded for his rational
approach to complex structural response assessment
problems and has gained the respect of both the DOE
and the Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC) staff
working in the radioactive material packaging field.
Research and Development Project Management
Radioactive Material Transportation Packagings Projects
- Managed a program to develop and design a
prototype sodium pump.
- Provided technical direction of a contract for
conceptual design, development testing, complete
engineering, and fabrication of a prototype sodium
heated steam generator.
- Developed and managed a project that provided
technical support to Ukrainian government
engineers for radioactive material transportation
- Initiated the Argonne Hazardous and Radioactive
Materials Transportation Group.
Other Structural Analysis, Design and Evaluation
- Evaluated radioactive materials shipping packages
for overall compliance with regulations and
performed structural analyses as part of the DOE
package certification process.
- Conceived and developed a course on using the
ASME Code in radioactive material package design,
and presented it to engineers from 19 organizations
across the US.
- Presented lectures on Fissile Material Packaging,
and USA Procedures and Methodology, for the IAEA.
- Reviewed safety analysis reports submitted to the
NRC for power plant life extension.
- Provided technical support for drafting the NRC
Standard Review Plan for License Renewal.
- Developed trade association design guides for
reinforced concrete structures.
- Analyzed in-reactor components for flow-induced
- Predicted the behavior of structures subjected to
- Performed the economic assessment and a
structural review of the conceptual design for an
advanced fast reactor metallic fuel reprocessing
- Researched non-linear shell buckling and structural
- Taught structural analysis, buckling, and computer
applications courses.Development and Implementation of Computer
- Produced user-friendly codes for design of concrete
structures using early computers.
- Wrote engineering design computer codes for
nuclear plant equipment supports and for
containment building walls subjected to dynamic
- Conceived and managed large finite element and
finite difference code development.
Produced machine language through high level
language codes for batch and interactive
environments for various computers types.
Click to return to Peter Turula's
personal web page.